What You Need to Know About the High Level Political Forum 2019
The themes covered in this year's forum are vital for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) under review were:
- Quality, inclusive and equitable education (SDG 4)
- Inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all (SDG 8)
- Reducing inequalities (SDG 10)
- Climate change (SDG 13)
- Peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, access to justice and effective, accountable and inclusive institutions (SDG 16)
- As well as SDG 17 on global partnership and means of implementation as every year.
Light for the World representatives attended the High-Level Political Forum 2019
This forum was considered a milestone by many, as it finishes the first four-year cycle since the adoption of the 2030 Agenda.
“To ensure that inclusive education becomes a reality, we require systemic change by using a multi-sectoral approach, adopting child-centred and universal design tactics with reasonable accommodations and tailored supports provided.”
World Blind Union and Permanent Representative of the Stakeholder Group of Persons with Disabilities
- 47 states presented their Voluntary National Reviews (VNR). Voluntary National Reviews are "...regular and inclusive reviews of progress at the national and sub-national levels, which are country-led and country-driven" (paragraph 79). These national reviews are expected to serve as a basis for the regular reviews by the high-level political forum (HLPF)
- More than 2000 participants from governments, civil society, academia, business etc.
- Big delegation of persons with disabilities: over 80 people from different parts of the world are members of the Stakeholder Group of Persons with Disabilities (the official representation of persons with disabilities towards the UN)
- Representatives of the Stakeholder Group of Persons with Disability took the stage in many of the official sessions, including on education, science, in voluntary national review sessions of governments (Iraq, Azerbaijan, etc)
- Burkina Faso Voluntary National Reviews: stakeholder group on education spoke out for inclusive education for children with disabilities, government report mentioned disability 32 times
- Hundreds of side events in and outside of the UN
- Political Declaration of the HLPF only to be adopted in September at the UN General Assembly
For more in-depth coverage of the conference, make sure to visit the official website.