Bosnia and Herzegovina
An All Inclusive Strategy for Inclusion
To contribute to the inclusion of people with disabilities, Light for the World has worked to ensure a more equal distribution of municipal resources to make them accessible for everyone. With its new “All Inclusive Strategy” our local partner works with youth groups and trains them in social entrepreneurship. In order to raise awareness for the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, one of our partners carried out a countrywide, inspiring media campaign. The renowned physicist Stephen Hawking acted as testimonial. Both projects are sponsored by the Austrian Development Agency. 2,920 people in Bosnia-Herzegovina benefitted from our programmes in 2016.
Featured Project: Inclusive Education Now
Children with disabilities need access to education to develop their skills and lead independent lives in the future. This is not only crucial for the wellbeing of individuals, but also beneficial for the whole community.
The aim of this project is to ensure inclusive, equal and high-quality education for all children throughout Bosnia and Herzegovina. We aim to achieve this by improving capacities of government institutions and disability organisations in inclusive education, providing them with effective tools and awareness raising in the media and the general public.
- Development of a training module in inclusive education
- Trainings for relevant institutions and ministries
- Joint development of guidelines and indicators for inclusive education by civil society organisations and the government
- Public events to present the established guidelines to stakeholders in education
- Information material on inclusive education
- A joint media campaign to raise awareness on inclusive education
- Guidelines and indicators for inclusive education are included in official documents of the ministries concerned
- 15 success stories about inclusive education are disseminated in a media campaign
- 40 leaders in the various Ministries of Education are implementing their knowledge of inclusive education
- 50 organisations of people with disabilities and civil society have been trained in campaigning
- 74,000 children with disabilities benefit from a better education system